Saturday, October 16, 2010

Elizabeth Gill (nee Finch) 1883-1969

I have to acknowledge from the beginning that this Elizabeth Finch, daughter of Richard, is largely unknown to me as the person I spoke to in 1982 had never met her and relied on hearsay and family accounts.

The date of death is conjectural and may be incorrect although it feels 'right' and sits in the usual time frame for someone born in 1883.

My source remembered that this Elizabeth married an Amos Gill and the name proved to be correct when I checked it out many years later. This is, again, the power of family accounts of long distant family members. We sometimes doubt what we are told although many the accounts given to me by family members have proved to be correct when checked out.

I remember that Elizabeth Finch moved with her husband to Edmonton near London and that Amos was a wealthy man. This was important to the teller of the story who was proud that at least one Finch woman had married well. I know no more of this member of the family but I would like to know more.

No comments: